Unity Experience Sustainability Series — Fall, 2010
Each fall Unity Experience instructors work with the Sustainability Office and others on campus to meaningfully incorporate sustainability efforts into the first-year experience. In addition to a brief “Sustainability 101” class session, students participate in a number of outside-of-class sustainability activities.
Sustainability at Unity is not the exclusive purview of any one department or group; rather sustainability efforts are supported by students, staff, and faculty from throughout the campus. The Unity Experience Sustainability Series is intended to introduce students to a variety of these initiatives.
Tuesday, October 19, 11am – Campus Natural Areas – Meet on Soccer Field
- Get acquainted with our campus trail system and other opportunities to enjoy and care for the great outdoors. Led by Andy Gagnon and the Unity Trail Crew.
Wednesday, October 20, 4:30pm – Consumption Function – Meet in Coops Courtyard
- Explore the sustainability and health impacts of your food and consumer choices. Hear what some students are doing to support local food sourcing on campus. Led by Cassidy Need & Co..
Tuesday, October 10/26 11am – Building Performance Feedback – Student Activities 1B/2B
- Unity College just received one of the largest gifts in its history to engage students in the design and construction of a super efficient, high-performance residence. Join Professor Doug Fox for an informational and feedback session about the building.
Wednesday, October 10/27 4:30pm – Campus Waste Audit – In Front of Wood Hall
- You can’t manage what you don’t measure. Help the campus Recycling Crew track recycling and garbage waste from the entire campus. Bring your work gloves if you have some.
Tuesday, November 2, 11am – Compostpalooza – Outside Koons Near the Hoop House
- Join the Constructive Activists for an up-close look at campus food waste. Learn some composting basics, and a little bit about what you can do to support our campus composting partnership with MOFGA.
Wednesday, November 3, 4:30 – Campus Energy Tour – Meet in Student Activities Parking Lot
- Campus Sustainability Fellow Anne Stephenson has just completed her campus energy use assessment and is eager to pilot some energy conservation projects. Join her for a boiler room crawl to find out more about energy use in campus buildings.
*Sessions will take place rain or shine. Please dress appropriately to be outside for an hour.